Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Cora's Story

I had been having contractions nightly for about a week. Every night I went to bed with a little discomfort expecting to be woken up by more labor pains. Every morning I woke up and they were gone. I was always a little disappointed, I really thought she would come early, but she didn't turn up until a day after her due date. Tim was just getting home from a fishing tournament in Clear Lake, CA. He had been gone for 10 days. TEN DAYS. He got back two days before Cora was born. One day before her due date. Let's move on...

Now for the big event.

Tim was working, you know because he just missed 10 days from work, so Tausha went with me to my last appointment with Dr. B. on Tuesday morning. I had been having contractions, but nothing too serious and I wasn't real worried about when Cora would get here. They come when they are ready, right? We decided the Dr. didn't need to check me. I didn't want to hear any discouraging news like being less dilated than I wanted. I knew it wouldn't make a difference when she would be coming. I figured we would all know when she was ready, right? We went over a few things and then decided he would induce me. He called over to the OB to schedule a time but they were full until the next morning and couldn't take any more appts. They have to leave one delivery room open for people that walk in. So just for fun (ha!) he decided to check me and see where we were. I was at a three! Holy cow! I knew then it would be today! He stripped my membranes while he was in there and planned on seeing me later.
Through the rest of the day my contractions continued, but weren't what I remembered with Jack so I decided to wait to go into the OB. I knew when I got there, since I was already at a three, they would keep me and I knew they were full so I didn't want to go if I didn't really need to. However, I also knew that I was at a three and it doesn't go backwards--I didn't want to be on the cover of the newspaper with the headline "woman gives birth in route to hospital". So we dropped Jack, Derek and Maddie off at Nana Codie's and Papa Keno's and Tim, Tausha and I got to the hospital at about 5pm.
Now I knew I wasn't sure about an epidural this time around. With Jack I felt nothing. It was a pain trying to get it to work in the first place (they had to do it twice) and I didn't love the way it made me feel mentally. I felt totally checked out. I don't even remember Jack's first breathe or how he looked. I knew I didn't want to experience that again. They kept asking me if I wanted an epidural and I kept saying, "no, not yet" I was starting to worry about the pain, so I finally gave in and they called the anesthesiologist in. He got me all hooked up and things started working. I could already feel that same foggy feeling come over me. It was like when you are so tired things start to get funny. I knew I would regret my decision to have an epidural. Then about two hours after my epidural my contractions got really strong. They still weren't as bad as I remembered with Jack, but I was concerned that they were starting to hurt again. I told the anesthesiologist that I needed some kind of adjustment, but nothing he did was working. Suddenly I felt the urge to push. Now, I am seriously terrified of the pain. I was so scared that things seemed like they were out of control. I really had no idea how much it was going to hurt and now I was heading fast down this path without other options. I was going to feel this whether I wanted to or not. I really started missing my mom and had Tausha call her. I needed her now! She lives close by so she was fast. I couldn't hold back any longer and started to push. It is a weird sensation for those of you who don't know. Its like an itch that has to be scratched or a sneeze coming over you. You just can't do anything about it, but do what your body is demanding of you. Anyway, one push and my mom walks in. I don't remember seeing her, but I could smell her. So, push, push, push and little Cora popped out. I only pushed for about twenty minutes, which was awesome compared to Jack's 4 hours! The "ring of fire" or the crowning part that I was most afraid of was a piece of cake. Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And the best part was I was 'awake' right after she came out. I remember her little purple body being placed on my chest and I remember watching her soul fly into her body with her first breath. I remember everyone around me and I remember my heart growing bigger. Next time I'm not even going to try an epidural. I know what my body is capable of and I know how to handle it. I know that everything is going to be OK. I feel really proud of myself and my body. Kind of the girl form of 'macho' i guess. Really proud. Really excited. Really in love.


Tausha's version:

So…

You and I went to the doctor on Tuesday morning to see Dr. B.  When we got there he checked you and you were at a 3 I think.  He stripped your membranes to see if he could get you to go into labor on your own.  He called the hospital to see if he could get you in to start you on Wednesday, but they were full and he had to call Dr. Griffith and ask him to re-schedule one of his ladies so that you could get it.  I told you to wait for a few hours and you would be more dilated and that after a 3 they have to keep you.  Haha.  So – got you all scheduled to go in the next day unless you started on your own.  Later that evening you ended up and the hospital on your own.  I came down when I got off of work and hung out with you and Tim.  You progressed really quickly, and then decided to get an epidural.  The contractions were really strong, and the epidural worked, but only for a little bit.  For some reason Cora wasn’t coming down like they wanted her to, so they made you lay on your side for a while – which by the way – was the wrong side.  Idiots.  They should eat more cake.  I waited and called Mom when they called Dr. B to tell him to come down because you were ready to deliver.  You were in a lot of pain because the epidural had worn off, even after he took it out and did it again.  We made jokes with Dr. B at some point about hanging from chandeliers with a Viking cap.  That was so funny.  Tim was stressed, but I tried to lighten the mood.  I probably wasn’t as funny.  So – Dr. B got there just in time.  You had pushed a couple of good times and Cora was so close, I am surprised that Dr. B made it.  You were saying that you couldn’t do it, but you were so amazing and did such a great job.  It was awesome.  I could see her head and dark hair.  AWWW.  So  - you pushed again and out she came out.  Perfecto.  J

April 16 – Cora McClintick.  She was so precious.  Looked just like Jack.  You are awesome.  Such a good momma.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...